Devotions For Music Ministers

Devotion For Music Ministers

I will bless the LORD at all times, His praise will continually be in my mouth. My soul will make it's boast in the LORD. The Humble will here thereof and be glad.
Oh magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together
Psalm 34:1-3

The Songs Of Accent


Preparation For Worship


The introduction to Psalms chapters 120 through 134 you will see they were called the Songs of Degrees or in some versions The Songs of Ascent.  I learned these were songs that were sung by the people going to the temple for their annual sacrifice.  The songs were sung in the order that they are recorded in Scripture.  We know from Psalm 100 that we should enter His gates with thanksgiving and enter His courts with praise.  The songs of ascent were the songs they sang before they entered the gates and court.  

It seems many times when we come to a worship service that people have not taken the time to prepare to enter His gates.  Many times when I've led worship services I've started with a song expressing the greatness of God and encouraging people to worship.  Sometimes it was kind of discouraging because people didn't seem to want to worship until I would come a song that I would use to lead into a time of prayer and petitioning.  A song like Jesus Is The Answer or Peace Peace.  When I came to these songs I would see people begin to focus on God's grace and deliverance which would draw them into worship.  Psalms 120, the first of the songs of ascent, focuses on these very things.

Psalm 120

A Song of Ascents.
 1 In my distress I cried to the LORD, And He heard me.   2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips
         And from a deceitful tongue.    3 What shall be given to you, Or what shall be done to you,
         You false tongue?   4 Sharp arrows of the warrior, With coals of the broom tree!       
 5 Woe is me, that I dwell in Meshech, That I dwell among the tents of Kedar!   6 My soul has dwelt too long
         With one who hates peace.   7 I am for peace;  But when I speak, they are for war.


 If you look at the themes of all these songs you will find a Biblical way to prepare your heart for worship.
Psalm 120
the need for God, peace, crying to the Lord, deliverance
Psalm 121
God's faithfulness, deliverance, our dependence on Him, seeking Him in time of need, protection
 Psalm 122
Anticipation for the house of God, gladness, the goodness of God
Psalm 123
God's mercy and help
Psalm 124
Protection from the enemy 
Psalm 125
trusting in God, the goodness of God
Psalm 126 
The great works of God, soul winning, prevailing prayer
Psalm 127
we need the Lord to lead and guide us, without Him we can do nothing
Psalm 128
Blessed is every one who fears the LORD,  Who walks in His ways.
Psalm 129
God's righteousness, the Name of the Lord, victory over the enemy
Psalm 130
God's forgiveness and mercy, waiting on God
Psalm 131
hoping and trusting in God alone
Psalm 132
worship, adoration, God's presence, continuing in prayer, provision, loving God for everything He has done
Psalm 133
Unity, anointing
Psalm 134
1 Behold, bless the LORD,
         All
you servants of the LORD,
         Who by night stand in the house of the LORD!
 2 Lift up your hands
in the sanctuary,
         And bless the LORD.
        
 3 The LORD who made heaven and earth
         Bless you from Zion!
 
If we will prepare ourselves on everyday for worship then in our private and our corporate worship praise will be spontaneous and heartfelt. Those things that weigh heavy on our hearts will draw us close to God rather than distracting us from Him.






Praise You In This Storm (As Made Popular By Casting Crowns) - Praise Hymn Tracks

Praise You In This Storm - Lifesong

Worship Team Coach - Blog