Devotions For Music Ministers

Devotion For Music Ministers

I will bless the LORD at all times, His praise will continually be in my mouth. My soul will make it's boast in the LORD. The Humble will here thereof and be glad.
Oh magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together
Psalm 34:1-3

A Sounding Brass Or A Clanging Cymbal




Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.  
1 Corinthians 13:1

As a oneness, apostolic, pentecostal I understand the importance of speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit enables.  (Acts 2:4)  I know that it is a sign of God's presence to unbelievers.  (1 Corinthians 14:22)  Yet in order for people to see Jesus in me love needs to be evident. 

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  
1 Corinthians 13:2


As I reach out to people on a daily basis I really want the power of God to be evident in my life.  I pray for the power of God to be at work.  Healing, deliverance, and miracles I long to see being poured out to bless peoples lives.   Yet again love is more important.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,  but have not love, it profits me nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:3

When I read this verse and see that even giving everything I have to the poor can somehow be separate from love it really makes me search my heart.    Even the laying down of my life for the sake of the Gospel may not demonstrate love if it was not manifested in the life that I live.   I really don't want to be a great worship leader or anointed musician if it means people will not feel the love of God coming from me.  In that case all the music made, no matter how sincere the worship may be,  is just a sounding brass and a clanging gong. 

It  is not how much I love the Lord that makes me a witness but how much I love the people around me.  It is the second greatest commandment and just as important as the first.

Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one.  And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.” 
Mark 12:29-31

 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.  This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.  
John 15:11-13

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. 
John 13:34-35

Worship Team Coach - Blog