Devotions For Music Ministers

Devotion For Music Ministers

I will bless the LORD at all times, His praise will continually be in my mouth. My soul will make it's boast in the LORD. The Humble will here thereof and be glad.
Oh magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together
Psalm 34:1-3

The Original Christmas Songs

I was listening to a radio broadcast this last week where the preacher mentioned there were four songs in the Christmas Story. I read them to my family on Christmas day as part of our Christmas devotions. These songs are so full of promise. Three of them came as prophecies to individuals and the most well known one is the Song of the angels.
Luke 2
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: 14 “ Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”

I know some like to point out that the Bible says, the angels were saying not singing. The reason I believe this was a song is that it says they were praising God. Praise is almost always associated with singing as far as Biblical languages are concerned. Another distinction of what they said is the parallelism. Parallelism is one of the main characteristics of Biblical songs.

Several great truths and promises in their song include God's glory and peace and goodwill. All this was associated with the coming of the Christ.

Then there was the song of Elizabeth...Luke 1:42 Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. 45 Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.” Here is a pronouncement of blessing on Mary because of obedience and willingness to be used by God. Also the fact that when Jesus comes there is reason to rejoice just as John leaped for joy before he was even born.
Next was Mary's song...46 And Mary said:


“ My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48 For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
49 For He who is mighty has done great things for me,
And holy is His name.
50 And His mercy is on those who fear Him
From generation to generation.
51 He has shown strength with His arm;
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted the lowly.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things,
And the rich He has sent away empty.
54 He has helped His servant Israel,
In remembrance of His mercy,
55 As He spoke to our fathers,
To Abraham and to his seed forever.”
Mary's song shows us how Jesus can change everything for those who fear Him. She points out the wonderful mercy of God.

Then there was Simeon's song when Jesus was eight days old.
Luke 2:29 “ Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace,
According to Your word;
30 For my eyes have seen Your salvation
31 Which You have prepared before the face of all peoples,
32 A light to bring revelation to the Gentiles,
And the glory of Your people Israel.”

Here is the promise that salvation is for everyone who will follow the Lord. This is the reason that Jesus came is to seek and save the lost. This Christmas season I am so thankful for Jesus coming into my life. I pray he has put a song in your heart too.

Worship Team Coach - Blog