Devotions For Music Ministers

Devotion For Music Ministers

I will bless the LORD at all times, His praise will continually be in my mouth. My soul will make it's boast in the LORD. The Humble will here thereof and be glad.
Oh magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together
Psalm 34:1-3

The Undeniable Testimony of Praise




Peter and John were on their way to the temple for prayer.  We can read this account in Acts 3.

1 Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. 2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; 3 who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. 4 And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, "Look at us." 5 So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. 6 Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them--walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him. 11 Now as the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch which is called Solomon's, greatly amazed.
todaw:  an extension of the hands, adoration, a chorus of worshippers, confession, thanksgiving.

click here for audio

The very testimony of this man was in his praise.  His praise was a testimony to the power of the name of Jesus.  No one could deny what Jesus had done for him.  The miracle could be seen.  His walking and leaping and praising God was proof. 

Worship and thanksgiving are very heart felt and may not be accompanied by outward expression.  Praise is always visible.  Praise many times is the key that will lead us into worship and thanksgiving.  I may not always feel like worshipping because of pain, weariness or discouragement.  In those times I can tell my flesh that I'm going to praise the Lord anyway.  No matter how I feel I can still raise my hands to heaven and thank God for all of His goodness and for who He is.  There's something about the power of the name of Jesus and the victory He gives us over sin, habits, emotions and sicknesses that just makes me feel like lifting my hands or jumping around, or shouting hallelujah!  Victory always brings excitement.  When Jesus comes into a persons life He gives them victory. 

The prophet Habakkuk brings another perspective on the testimony of praise.  Habakkuk had warned Israel of the judgement they were facing in that time.  Yet when the judgement came the prophet was overwhelmed with grief.  He complained to God how that a nation even more sinful was used to bring judgement. Yet even in this terrible trauma the book of Habakkuk ends with a song.


Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The LORD God [is] my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' [feet], and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

Habakkuk 3:18-19
The Hebrew words for joy and rejoice in these verses have a notable translation.
giyl:  to spin around
alaz: to jump for joy

Even at times we don't understand what God is doing we need to rejoice in Him.  It's in those times He will be our strength to endure the trials.

Even if your deliverance is no as outwardly evident as the lame man at the temple gate your outward praise is just as much a testimony to the miraculous, healing, delivering power of the name of Jesus Christ, His blood, and His mercy.  No song can capture this awesomeness.  All the special effects and technology cannot create this glory.  No stage crew or lightshow or even talented musician can demonstrate God's glory as these simple expressions of worship.  Governments can't bring this kind of peace.  Money can't provide this kind of security.  Materials can't bring this kind of joy.  Let a testimony of praise be your testimony.



Freedom - Eddie James

icon

Worship Team Coach - Blog