Devotions For Music Ministers

Devotion For Music Ministers

I will bless the LORD at all times, His praise will continually be in my mouth. My soul will make it's boast in the LORD. The Humble will here thereof and be glad.
Oh magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together
Psalm 34:1-3

My Strength And Song

I've been reading a book by Joy Haney called Living On The Miracle Level. I just want to share some of the thoughts from a chapter called Living In Strength.  

After reading the books of the Law to the people of Israel, Nehemiah noticed that they had become very sad.  They were sad because they had realized how bad they had broken God's law.   Nehemiah wanted them to stop focusing on the past for their hearts were ready to follow the Lord.   Faith and repentance are the first steps to following God.  So Nehemiah gave this well known instruction.

 Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”         Nehemiah 8:10

Many verses link the attributes of my strength and my song to the Lord.

Exodus 15:2  Psalm 118:14

 The Lord is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation;
He is my God, and I will praise Him;
My father’s God, and I will exalt Him.



Isaiah 12:2(NASB)
 “Behold, God is my salvation,
I will trust and not be afraid;
For the Lord God is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation.”

Psalm 28:7

 The Lord is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart exults,
And with my song I shall thank Him.

The right kind of singing brings joy.   In the times you probably don't feel like singing that you can find the greatest strength in doing so.  Remember that discouragement, worthlessness, hopelessness, unworthyness, doubt, fear, anxiety, lonliness and exclusion are all enemies of faith.   A song of praise may not seem appropriate to your human nature but it's the  exact weapon the enemy doesn't want you to pull out.  There have been many times when I didn't have the answer I needed to problems .  As much as I would pray I would still feel helpless in my circumstances.  Then in my prayers the Lord would put a song on my heart.  I'd start to sing and the Lord would flood me with strength and wisdom for my problem. I suddenly would have an overwhelming amount of faith and confidence in Him. 

Psalm 89:15-17

 Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of thy countenance.  In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.   For thou art the glory of their strength: and in thy favour our horn shall be exalted.

Sister Haney writes this concerning these verses.
Blessed, light, rejoice, exalted, glory, strength: these are the words used to describe what happens to those who learn how to rejoice in the Lord, those who enter his gates with thanksgiving and into hi courts with praise.





Douglas Miller

Worship Team Coach - Blog